Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Changes

This is a sad time. My mother died a few weeks ago. I sewed a quilted "slipcover" for the box containing her cremains, which we will bury in the spring. I embellished it with wide, fine ivory lace and four clear Swarovski crystals in the shape of a cross, one for each of her children. It doesn't seem right to show it here, but I think she would like it very much. It's very "her."

This piece of art is currently on display at the Benedictine Center close to my house:


And here is the artist's statement. (Tap on the photos, if they look fuzzy, for a better look.)



Here is a quote from one of my mother's favorite poets, Mary Oliver:

To live in this world

you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it

against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

From "In Blackwater Woods" by Mary Oliver, in American Primitive.

~Andrea



3 comments:

  1. Mary Oliver is my "mother poet" - she gave birth to my love of poetry, and from that time on, I have been indulging in the likes of Seamus Heaney, Nancy Willard and many more brilliant people who can say what we cannot.

    Andrea, I am so sorry to hear of your mother's sudden passing, and I also want to thank you for coming to visit me! YOU TOO are a Minnesotan? Oh my dear, this is the worst winter, non? May the beautiful sunshine and gardens of our beautiful state shine forth soon to help us move about and remember that the cycles do keep moving....oh thank you so much for leaving me a comment so I can know who you are! Lovely art, too...Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to stop by and thank you for your recent comment on my blog.

    So sorry to read about your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry Andrea! My mom passed away in January. I love the idea of making a quilted box to place the urn in. Such a special way to honor her memory. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete