Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Controlled scrappiness

I was on a four day quilt retreat last weekend in Wisconsin with these wonderful friends...


...and 42 other women from the Minnesota Contemporary Quilters and the Twin Cities Modern Quilt Guild. Thanks to Carol E. (on the right, blogger extraordinaire from Giraffe Dreams quilt blog) for the photo.

I worked on this quilt.


I used leftover half-square triangles of bright red (Kaffe Fassett) and blue for the centers of log cabin-esque blocks, with a sashing of small pastel polka dots on a neutral ivory background, and a border of a pretty white-dotted muted emerald green fabric. The binding had to be the red Kaffe Fassett, of course. Since all the blocks are the same, I call it "controlled scrappiness." I have loved working on this quilt, and hand-stitching the binding is peaceful and therapeutic.

Here is the back. I love the Dr. Seuss Lorax fabric!


The quilt measures 53" x 59". I finished it with stitching-in-the-ditch using my trusty Pfaff 2040.which I bought around 2001  - from a Wisconsin dealer no longer in business - before Pfaff was bought out by Husqvarna. I also have the Pfaff Creative Expression with the extra-wide throat, which I bought in 2011. It has given me a lot of trouble in the three years I've had it and I'm greatly disenchanted with that purchase.

And for something fun, here is the blackboard at the Happy Gnome restaurant on Selby Avenue in St. Paul, where my husband and I had a beer and a bite to eat tonight. Looks like the Happy Gnome had some interesting events in March! The adorable gnomes are drawn with chalk. Someone at the Happy Gnome is a talented artist.


They say we are getting a winter storm tomorrow and the day after. I love snow....however I am really looking forward to spring temperatures and green buds!

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment