Saturday, April 5, 2014

Dakota County Star Quilters Show

One of my favorite annual quilt shows is at the Dakota County Museum in S. St. Paul, put on by Dakota County Star Quilters. Here are some of my favorites:

A simple quilt with eye-catching colors that make me think of summer:

Detail of a fun modern quilt:

The black is a beautiful tone. The photo doesn't do it justice.

The soft toned fabric and the embellished tree are lovely on the quilt below. (Note the predominently green floor which shows up in many of the photos. It is a map of Dakota County.)


One of my husband's favorites, hand-pieced and hand-quilted. It is behind glass:




This pretty quilted picture of the Golden Gate Bridge makes me think of my daughter and her husband, who live in the Bay area. Look at the dense, traditional patterns of the machine quilting:



This amazing piece of art is by my friend Carol Egan from Giraffe Dreams:


Very contemporary interpretation of Amish quilting:

I love the wavy quilting:

This beautiful needle-turned appliquéd quilt in batiks was my husband's favorite quilt. I couldn't stand back far enough to get the whole quilt in the picture but three of the borders are visible. Imagine the time that went into this:



A huge quilt that is a study in gray:

The quilt below was also huge and used just three batik fabrics, rose, mossy green and taupe, and the piecing is very intricate:

Below, my favorite rendition of the mystery quilt - love the color palette. Look at the red half-square triangles, how the corners on the long side of each triangle were intentionally blunted, an interesting design twist. The fabric used in the border, pinwheels and center medallion is fun and makes the quilt very lively:


The colors are rich and the square grid design is very architectural in this striking large quilt. It was hung in a spot with very poor lighting:

And there are more, which I'll add in the next post.

~Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment