Friday, December 20, 2013

Gyda in Norway

                         
                     A wall-hanging I made in 2012. "Det var så koselig."

I got news this morning that a person very dear to me died, Gyda, my 98 year old Norwegian relative in Norway. I last talked to Gyda on Monday, when her son called from her bedside in Oslo and handed her his mobile phone. This morning I had a text from him that she passed away yesterday.

Gyda was enormously important to me, like another mother. A year ago I finished the wall-hanging "Det var så koselig" which means something like "it was so cozy." That was one of Gyda's typical expressions. I embroidered Norwegian words in the dotted fabric around the scrappy center. The wallhanging is 36 inches by 40 inches and was made for a Minnesota Contemporary Quilters' challenge called "Abode."

Below, Gyda and me in 2010, near Sandefjord, Norway.


Thank you Gyda, for many cherished moments together and many letters.




~~Andrea



3 comments:

  1. So beautiful to see your blog, and your latest entry, especially. You and Gyda had a remarkable relationship; a special warmth and humor amplified between you when you were together in a way I've never seen before. Truly ineffable and worth celebrating—both your relationship, and Gyda's stellar life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm thankful for the 42 years of knowing Gyda, our times together and her letters. I'm so glad you got to know her; and she, you.

      Delete
  2. sorry to hear you lost your friend.......think of all the good memories of times you had together..........

    ReplyDelete