Sunday, August 6, 2017

Birds, a medallion quilt



I started this simple quilt in 2015 when I flew out to Oakland to be with my daughter and son-in-law and to meet my new grandson just days after his birth.

I had no plan for the quilt top, it just grew, and when my daughter expressed a desire to have the finished product as well as for it to be larger, I added a row at the top and bottom.

The two red, white and black bird fabrics are Japanese. The greenish fabric in the nine-patch blocks has colorful, whimsical owls - I love anything with owls!

I stitched in the ditch between the rows in both directions and then big-stitched with perle cotton on the blocks. I had no plan for the big stitching, just did what I felt like as it progressed. Blue big-stitching outlines the large birds in the center blocks. Big-stitched black arcing lines run around the blocks inside the red border. On the remaining blocks, I big-stitched circles in black or white.

The quilt seems to ramble. My daughter loves it - says it's the most beautiful thing she owns. Now that is gratification. Plus, even more gratifying, she and her husband and my precious little grandson now live in Minneapolis.

The quilt with no plan except to be with my daughter.

~Andrea








No comments:

Post a Comment