Friday, August 4, 2017

Staycation postcard


 (The solid black edge on three sides of the postcard are the table, not the postcard.)

This goes back to 2012. I made this postcard one afternoon and submitted it to 
the on-line site for Quilting Arts magazine, for the postcard theme challenge, "Staycation."

It was not published. It was not mailed back to me (naturally.) I recently came across this photo.
"Using fabric scraps of folded, hand-dyed pastels, I pieced a row of vertical stripes to represent the sky at dusk. Below it, a similar row using batiks represents the nature pond behind our house. I left all the fabric edges raw. Three vertical pieces of black glittery ribbon on the lower row suggest the sparkle of the pond's dark surface. With metallic gold elastic and a button, I formed the setting sun with rays of light across the pond.  

I walk around our pond nearly every evening. The summer breeze and changing light cause all of the elements – airy, watery, greenery – to shift and transform. 

Materials used: hand-dyed cotton, batik cotton, metallic gold elastic, button, glittery ribbon, cotton thread, glue, fusible stiff interfacing."
~Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment